Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Fun Family Night...even if it is at 2 am!

For those of you who didn't realize, today is the official release date for the second Transformers movie, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. But as with all the big movie releases, the theaters will do 12:01 am showings the night before for the hard core fans, those who just can't stand not to see it first. If you can't tell where I'm going with this, I'll just go ahead and tell you, I am one of those obnoxious people. I will buy my tickets online to make sure its not sold out when I get there, I will arrive at least an hour early to stand in line with my fellow geeks, excitedly talking about how great the trailers were, and what I expect to happen...I'll even drag my family along with me.

When I say that I love the first Transformers movie, I don't think people realize to what extent. I will literally stop whatever I'm doing and sit and watch the movie if I see it come on tv. It doesn't even matter what part its on, or the fact that I've seen it close to 100 times, it remains one of my favorites. We own it on both DVD and BluRay, and even have it recorded on both Tivos. Yes, I realize its a bit of an obsession, one that will definately carry over to the second one as well. But the good thing is, I have my children who were just as excited as I was while standing outside the Paradiso, to obsess along with me!

I won't go into too much detail about the movie since I realize there are lots of you who aren't as hardcore as I am and haven't seen it yet, but I can promise you, it is awesome! The graphics are unbelievable. And did I mention the new Corvette Stingray that makes even those of us who wouldn't know the difference between a V8 and lawnmower engine, drool?

As if a midnight movie wasn't enough excitement for one night, we also threw in a Redbirds game with Nana and Papa beforehand (yea, I like to pack in a weeks worth of events all in one night obviously). Thankfully, the Memphis weather that has literally been hot enough that you can use your seatbelt as a branding iron, cooled down so we could really enjoy the night. Even better, the Redbirds beat Omaha 6-3!

So was it worth it? Driving downtown, back home, and then back to East Memphis? A midnight showing with an 11 and 8 year old? Not getting home till 3 am? A morning that would not only require coffee, but demand it? I think I can speak for all four of us when I say, absolutely!

No comments: