Sunday, January 5, 2014

Christmas '13 Wrap Up

I'll be honest with you. I had a really, really hard time getting in the Christmas Spirit this year. Usually by the time Thanksgiving rolls around, I'm ready to put the tree up, decorate the entire house, and settle in nightly with some hot cocoa and Christmas movies.
 

 This year....not so much.
 I think it was a combination of things. Family drama...not as many siblings coming in as usual...a baby who thinks the decorations are new toys...Whatever it was, it had me in a funk. 
 

Sometime around the middle of the month however, I was able to get my act together. 
The tree wasn't as decorated as it usually is, but it was still gorgeous with the million lights I have to have on it. Little spots of red and green popped up around the house. Santa was seen. Cookies were baked. And presents were bought. 
 

My focus switched from everything that wasn't the same as years past, to all that was new. Embracing and loving the new. A new baby to celebrate a first Christmas all over again. New helpers to our cookie day. New traditions, new friends, new memories. 


All in all, I'd call Christmas 2013 a success. The older boys were spoiled as usual, Chris and I soaked up as much family time as we could while he was off work, and even Baby Lawson got into the swing of things (between crying and being over stimulated) by ripping open everyone's presents and shoving the paper into his mouth.
 


No comments: